<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
  <teiHeader>
    <fileDesc>
      <titleStmt>
        <title>Glass</title>
      </titleStmt>
      <publicationStmt />
      <sourceDesc>
        <bibl>
          <msIdentifier>
            <idno>1831623056</idno>
          </msIdentifier>
        </bibl>
      </sourceDesc>
    </fileDesc>
  </teiHeader>
  <text>
    <body>
      <div>
        <pb n="1" />
        An edition of 100 of
which this is

No

p—

L.

Cp

Pr:sented io

This volume is a combination of a series of booklets
published by the First National Bank at Pittsburgh, in
exposition of our city’s progress in business and culture.
It is fitting that this record be dedicated to the
memory of the late beloved president of the First
National Bank, Mr, Lawrence E. Sands, whose vision
and work has made a very deep impression upon the
general welfare of this community.
May we hope that this volume will be worthy of a
place in your library, not only for your own pleasure and
information, but also for any inspiration it may furnish
for a future generation to maintain and enhance the fine
traditions of the City of Pittsburgh. Pennsvlvania

THE FirsT Nationa BANK AT PITTSBURGH,
PrrrsBurcH. Pa.
        <pb n="2" />
        30S) AE TED ERR AAD RE EES ADD SSD EO EE CEE EE OO SONI NECN I

The Story of

PITTSBURGH

Volume One
Number Five

GLASS

First National Bank at Pittsburgh

December, 1920

HEE EEC 01 |

co TITIES ee
        <pb n="3" />
        Dr. Joun A. BRASHEAR
        <pb n="4" />
        The Story of Pittsburgh
GLASS

5

HERE is scarcely a form of manufactured glass
in which Pittsburgh does not take the lead, from
window glass and lamp chimneys to optical glass
and astronomical lenses.

Very large is the city’s production of plate glass, window
 glass, pressed table ware and lamp chimneys. The
finer manufactures in glass are represented by establishments
 which make diffracting prisms, used in lighthouses,
lenses for telescopes, opera glasses, microscopes and rangefinders.
 Dr. John A. Brashear, who recently died, mourned
by thousands who knew him personally, and to whom he
was “Uncle John”, enjoyed an international reputation
as an astronomer and a maker of the finest telescopic
lenses made anywhere in the world. His establishment
was known the world over for the excellence of the lenses
it produced.

The Encyclopedia Americana, the most recently published
 work of this character, speaking of Pittsburgh, says:
“The total production of plate glass in the district in 1918
was nearly 60,000,000 square feet, which, if made into one
sheet, would cover an area of 1877 acres, or make a pane
of plate glass three miles high by one mile wide; and the
ordinary window glass made here, would, if in one piece,
oe a pane nearly three times as large.”
The invention of glass occurred at so early a date in
:he history of the world, as to be lost in obscurity. The
method of its discovery is a matter of surmise. Obsidian,
which is found in volcanic discharges, was the earliest form
of transparent matter. It was used by the ancient Egyptians
 in the manufacture of various objects. The Romans
and the early Mexicans also fashioned articles from obsidian.
        <pb n="5" />
        The celebrated Dr. Johnson tells what glass really is,
in one of his delightful papers in The Rambler, saying:
“Who, when he first saw the sand and ashes by casual
intenseness of heat melted into a metalline form, rugged
with excrescences and clouded with impurities, would have
imagined that in this shapeless lump lay concealed so many
conveniences of life as would in time constitute a great part
of the happiness of the world? Yet by some such fortuitous
 liquifaction was mankind taught to procure a body
at once in a high degree solid and transparent, which
might admit the light of the sun and exclude the violence
of the wind, which might extend the sight of the philosopher
to new ranges of existence, and charm him at one time with
the unbounded extent of the material creation, and at
another with the endless subordination of animal life, and
what is yet of more importance, might supply the decay
of nature and succor old age with subsidiary sight. Thus
was the first artificer of glass employed, though without
his own knowledge or expectation. He was facilitating
and prolonging the enjoyment of light, enlarging the avenues
 of science, and conferring the highest and most lasting
pleasure. He was enabling the student to contemplate
nature and the beauty to behold herself.”
The Egyptians practiced glass blowing more than 4000
years ago, while the invention of glass is sometimes ascribed
to the Phoenicians. Glass found in the ruins of Mycenae
show that the Greeks were familiar with the art of making
glass at least 600 years before Christ. Pliny mentions
Gaul (France) as one of the western countries practicing
the art. Venice early became a famous glass producing
center. There is documentary evidence of glass-making
in that city in 1090, and for 500 years the city held a foremost
 place in its manufacture. In comparatively modern
times glass-making extended to other countries. It became
 established as an industry in the United States early
in the 17th century.
Pennsylvania has been a producer of glass from the
early history of the colony, for William Penn wrote a letter
in 1688, in which he alluded to glass works in his domain.
A flint glass factory was established near Lancaster in
        <pb n="6" />
        1769, and in 1771 a plant for making green bottles was
established in Philadelphia. In 1797, a window glass
factory was built in Pittsburgh, by Maj. Isaac Craig and
James O'Hara, heing probably the first factory in which
coal was used as fuel, for as late as 1810 wood was used
in all glass plants except those in or near Pittsburgh. In
1808, Thomas Bakewell and Robert Page completed a
flint glass house in this city, and they were the first who
successfully made flint glass in the United States. Tt is
recorded that pot clay was hauled by wagons to Pittsburgh
from Burlington, N. J., pearl ash and red lead were brought
‘rom Philadelphia, and saltpetre was hauled from the
natural caves of Kentucky. The product of the Pittsburgh
 glass factories early received the approbation of
consumers. Cut glass equal to the best quality produced
in Europe was made by Messrs. Bakewell and Page. At
the Paris Exposition in 1867, the first prize was awarded
to an exhibit of pressed glassware, made by the O'Hara
Glass Works. The abundance of coal in the vicinity of
Pittsburgh, caused Pittsburgh to become the center of the
glass making industry of the United States more than a
century ago, and inexhaustible deposits of glass-making
sand in the vicinity helped to maintain this leading posision.
 Later the application of natural gas to glass-making
served to make the position of Pittsburgh in the glassmaking
 industry more secure. Raw materials which enter
into the composition of window glass are sand, known
chemically as silica; limestone, or calcium carbonate;
salt cake, or sodium sulphate; soda ash and nitrate of soda,
and carbon, in the shape of anthracite coal. The supply
of these ingredients is practically unlimited, with the
exception of soda ash, the cost of which has increased to
such an extent, that salt cake is used as a substitute.
Pittsburgh has always been a leader in the glass indusory,
 and its future is brighter than ever. Fuel and raw
materials are to be found in unlimited quantities within
short distances. Great schools, such as the Carnegie
Institute of Technology and the Mellon Institute, are
devoting considerable time to research work for the benefit
of the glass industry. What is needed, in addition, to
        <pb n="7" />
        complete the equipment of the city, are large sales palaces,
such as are to be found in European manufacturing centers,
for the display of glass and other manufactures, the whole
year round. Such modern methods of display would
attract buyers from all over the country and from foreign
countries.

MANUFACTURE OF GLASS

It has been said by an eminent authority on the subject,
 that glass is a compound of various elements chemically
 combined, and yet it is not a true chemical compound,
for the reason that it is not combined in definite proportions,
as are many other chemical compounds. We may say,
in short, that glass is but little more than vitrified sand.
If we could obtain a temperature sufficiently high, we
could make glass from sand alone. That this is not done
in practice is because of the difficulty of getting a temperature
 sufficiently high to vitrify the sand, and also
for the reason that we could not get vessels that would
withstand the heat.
Nothing short of the intense heat of the electrical
furnace will melt sand alone. So to make glass commercially
 we are obliged to use an alkali in connection
with the sand to be able to flux or vitrify it in an ordinary
temperature, or such as can be maintained with the ordinary
 fuel at our command. In practice we use an alkali—
preferably, carbonate of soda or potash. In connection
with these two materials we have to add for a base, either
lime or the oxide of lead. We use the nitrate of soda
because it also has high fluxing properties, and has a tendency
 to make the “batch,” as we term it, boil; or, in other
words, to set up a violent agitation which facilitates the
melting. So we can say that ordinary glass is a double
silicate of soda and lime; or, if we make the finer qualities,
in which we use potash and lead, in that case it is a double
silicate of potash and lead. So that sand, or, technically
speaking, silicic acid, with lime and nitrate of soda, are
the main constituents of ordinary glass; while sand and
potash, with the oxide of lead. are the main constituents
        <pb n="8" />
        of the finer qualities of glass. We find more or less iron
in nearly all materials in use, and this substance is the
glass-maker’s constant enemy. So we use various decolorizing
 agents, principally oxide of manganese and nickel.
In the case of the finer qualities of glass, where we wish to
produce beautiful colors, we use various coloring agents—
such metallic substances as cobalt for making blue, with
the oxide of manganese for producing pink and gold, and
selenium for making rich ruby colors, as well as uranium
and cadmium for producing topaz and orange colors.
In its nature glass is peculiar, differing from almost
every other manufactured article. It is amorphous, having
 no line of cleavage, and, while crystalline in appearance,
the laws of crystallization do not in any manner apply to it.
To manufacture glass successfully and with uniform results,
 to make it commercially and meet the requirements
of the trade, require constant vigilance on the part of the
manufacturer, and sound judgment, founded on long
experience. No manufacturer, no matter how much he
knows himself as to how things should be done, and no
matter how trustworthy he considers his men, is ever
certain of results. When he fills his pots he can tell at
what hour any particular pot of glass should be ready to
work, but he can never be sure, because of the variable
conditions to which the process is subjected. Moreover,
when new pots are placed in the furnace, with walls from
three to four inches thick, his “melt” will be much longer
in preparation for working, than in the older pots whose
walls may be worn down say to an inch in thickness.
Then again, good glass may be spoiled by careless workmen
“gathering” the glass when too hot or too cold. This
produces streaky glass, or glass with blisters on it. Success
in glassmaking can be obtained only approximately, and
that by the exercise of constant vigilance and good judgment,
 and no manufacturer can say beforehand how much
glass of a good quality he is going to be able to turn out in a
given time.
The following are the principal manufacturers of glass
in the Pittsburgh district:
        <pb n="9" />
        PITTSBURGH PLATE GLASS COMPANY

The Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company, which was a
consolidation of several independent plants, was incorporated
 in 1895. Its principal business is the manufacture
of plate glass, which it sells over the world. The capacity
of the company is about 50,000,000 feet of plate glass and
1.200,000 boxes of window glass per annum.
The company owns and operates plate glass factories
at Creighton, Tarentum, Ford City and Charleroi in Pennsylvania,
 Kokomo, Ind., and Crystal City, Mo., and window
 glass factories at Mt. Vernon, Ohio, and Clarksburg,
W. Va.
Plans were recently completed for the merger of the
Columbia Chemical Company and the Patton Paint Company
 with the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company, with a
total authorized capitalization of $37,500,000.
Acquisition of the chemical company was accomplished
in order to insure to the glass company a supply of soda ash,
while the glass company already had a controlling interest
in the four paint and varnish companies comprising the
Patton-Pitcairn interests, with no minority interests in
any of the concerns. The consolidation gives the Pittsburgh
 Plate Glass Company assets of $61,000,000 or $23.
500,000 in excess of the capitalization.
The Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company has about 8,000
employes on the pay roll. The new organization is as
follows: W. L. Clause, Chairman of the Board of Directors,
Charles W. Brown, President, E. B. Raymond, Vice-President,
 H. S. Wherrett, Vice-President, Ludington Patton,
Vice-President, H. A. Galt, Vice-President, C. R. Montgomery,
 Secretary, Edward Pitcairn, Treasurer, Clarence
M. Brown, General Counsel, S. S. Lindsay, Comptroller,
J. F. Cargill, Purchasing Agent, J. M. Belleville, Traffic
Manager.

AMERICAN WINDOW GLASS MACHINE COMPANY

The American Window Glass Machine Company controls
 the American Window Glass Company, having
        <pb n="10" />
        acquired this control by the exchange of one share each
of the Machine company for the common stock of the
Window Glass Company. The latter leases on a royalty
basis the patent rights owned by the Machine Company.
The original company was incorporated under the laws of
Pennsylvania in August, 1899, and was formed by the
acquisition of 20 companies, which at that time produced
5% of the window glass manufactured in the United States.
The American Window Glass Machine Company was
incorporated under the laws of New Jersey in 1903. It
owns practically all of the stock of the American Window
Glass Company, which is the largest manufacturer of
window glass in the United States. Its capitalization
consists of $6,998,993 cumulative 79, preferred stock and
$12,997,993 common stock. There are no bonds or other
funded debt. The company owns the exclusive rights in
the United States to patents on machines for the manufacture
 of window glass, which rights are leased on a
royalty basis to the American Window Glass Company.
With the use of these machines window glass can be made
more cheaply than by any other process. Through its
subsidiary, the company is operating manufacturing plants
in seven cities of Pennsylvania and Indiana. The Machine
Company is paying 129%, dividends on the common stock
and 7% on the preferred. The company has been uniformly
 successful in defending its ownership of patents,
there having been much litigation against concerns for using
the machines without license. Courts have decided that
such companies are liable for every foot of glass made,
:ogether with future royalties for the use of the machines.
The American Window Glass Company blew glass by
hand until 19038, when machines were adopted and installed
for the mechanical drawing of window glass cylinders
entirely abandoning the hand-blowing method. This
improvement reduced the number of 41 hand-blowing plants
to 6 machine-blowing plants. These are located at New
Kensington, Jeannette, Belle Vernon, Monongahela City
        <pb n="11" />
        and Kane, all in Pennsylvania, and at Hartford City, Ind.
The company inaugurated the “continuous tank” melting
furnace in-the window glass industry and now operates
the largest glass-making furnaces in the world. Its products
 include single strength and double strength window
glass; 16-oz. picture glass, photographic dry plates, X-Ray
plates, 26-oz. glass, 29-0z. glass, 84-0z. and +&amp;amp; crystal
sheet. During the recent war, the company supplied all
the glass for the army cantonments, and produced and
shipped as high as 2,000,000 circles a week for use as lenses
in gas masks. The products of the American Window
Glass Company are well known in all parts of the world.

UNITED STATES GLASS COMPANY

The United States Glass Company is a Pennsylvania
Corporation, organized in 1891 by the taking over of what
at that time were among the largest and most prominent
concerns in their particular branch of manufacture. It
was one of the very first of industrial mergers, the same
being formed with the idea of being able to make considerable
 savings in the cost of producing and marketing the
product. Only the most successful concerns were included
 at the time and the company started operations
under very promising conditions.
The line produced is the largest of any concern in what
is known as the pressed blown table glassware business,
which does not mean that articles only for table and household
 uses are manufactured, but in reality the making of
any article in glass which can be produced with the same
or similiar equipment.
Its product includes all kinds of articles for home and
business purposes, such as Sugar and Cream Sets, Berry
Dishes, Salt Bottles, Goblets, Tumblers, Water Pitchers
Oil Bottles, Vases, etc., both in plain Crystal as well as
Etched, Cut and Decorated. Also special ware, such as
Blanks for Cutting, Door and Furniture Knobs, Automo-
        <pb n="12" />
        PLANT OF
PITTSBURGH PLATE GLASS COMPANY
Forp City, PA.

"ORKS AT CHARLERC

PLANT OF
MACBETH-EVANS GLASS COMPANY
CHARLEROI, Pa.
        <pb n="13" />
        INTERIOR VIEW OF PLANT FOR DRAWING GLASS
AMERICAN WINDOW GLASS COMPANY
PirrsBURGH. PA.
        <pb n="14" />
        bile Lenses, Confectioners and Druggists’ Show Jars,
Tobacco Jars, Glass Lamps, Soda Fountain Supplies,
Battery Jars, Electric Instrument Covers, Jelly Tumblers;
Pressed Lighting Glass such as Shades, Bowls for semiindirect
 illumination, ete.
It is estimated that including with the plain crystal
lines, the various lines of etchings, cuttings and decorations,
as well as shapes and designs, the company manufactures
over 20,000 different articles.
The company operates nine producing plants, five in
Pittsburgh, Pa., two in Glassport, Pa., one in Tiffin, Ohio,
and one in Gas City, Indiana; also two general decorating
shops and one special shop. It has a thoroughly experienced
 and efficient organization and employs approximately
 3,000 people. Each plant has all the necessary
equipment for the production of its particular line of ware,
as well as the facilities for cutting, polishing, etching and
decorating, where this work is done.
The principal offices of the company are in Pittsburgh,
where large sales display rooms are maintained containing
one sample of each piece of ware manufactured by the
company. Branch sales display rooms are also maintained
 at New York, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Denver,
Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco, London, England,
Sydney, Australia, Mexico City, Mexico, and Havana,
Cuba. The company further employs an efficient corps
of traveling salesmen, some of whom cover South America,
South Africa, and other distant points—so its ware is
shipped over practically the entire world, and the company
 and its products are well regarded and favorably
known wherever it does business.

MACBETH-EVANS GLASS COMPANY

The Macbeth-Evans Glass Company occupies the
fourteenth floor of the Chamber of Commerce Building,
        <pb n="15" />
        Pittsburgh, and is the largest manufacturer of illuminating
and industrial glass in America. This company was incorporated
 in 1899, being formed by merging the George
A. Macbeth Company and the Thomas Evans Company,
the new company afterwards absorbing the American Lamp
Chimney Company and a little later the Hogan-Evans
Company. The widespread use of petroleum from the
oil fields of Western Pennsylvania created a great demand
for lamp chimneys and made the production of those
chimneys a great industry in itself. In 1869 the firm of
Thomas Evans &amp;amp; Company was established. This became
the greatest manufacturer of chimneys in the world. They
operated the Crescent Glass Works at Eighteenth and
Josephine Streets, on the South Side. The production
of this firm reached the enormous figure of 12,000,000
lamp chimneys a year, 4,000,000 of which were decorated.
This production, laid in line, would reach 1500 miles, and
built up as a 10-foot hollow square, it would form a chimney
over 9 miles high. Three years later the George A. Macbeth
 Co. was established and the chief product of this
frm was lead glass chimneys, for which a very great demand
 was established. These two concerns, as previously
stated, were merged with their later acquisitions, and the
new company took over the patents on the Owens Glass
Blowing Machine, which made it possible to increase many
fold the production of lamp chimneys and other articles.
The most important feature in connection with the consolidation
 of these companies, aside from the purchase of the
glass blowing machine, was the bringing together of the two
men, Mr. George A. Macbeth and Mr. Thomas Evans,
one the antithesis of the other in many respects, but both
well grounded in the intricate processes of glass-making,
one a man of great imagination and the other more conservative,
 but admirably fitted by reason of keen business
instinct, to direct the financial affairs of the new company.
The new company was capitalized at $2,000,000 and grew
very rapidly. One of its factories, located at Charleroi,
        <pb n="16" />
        a short distance from Pittsburgh, is one of the largest in
the world, employing several thousand persons. The
company also operates factories at Elwood, Ind., Toledo,
Ohio, Bethevan, Ind., as well as a factory in Pittsburgh.
It was at the Charleroi plant that many of the extraordinary
 things which have been done in glass, in recent
years, were accomplished. Perhaps the most important
of these things was the manufacture, for the first time in
America, of the great lighthouse lenses used by the United
States and other Governments in the lighthouses which
protect the coasts and waterways. Some idea of the
development of the glass industry can be formed from
the fact that in this plant there are made seven different
kinds of clear glass. Glass is made which can be subjected
to very violent treatment, such as throwing it around
without breaking. This glass is used in the steam gauges
of large locomotives and in other places where a glass is
required of sufficient toughness to resist great expansive
forces. Special heat-resisting glass, used where it is sub.-ject
 to high temperatures, as in miners’ safety lamps, is
also made here. Other products include all kinds of illuminating
 and industrial glassware, lantern globes, street lighting
 globes, lighting fixture glassware, ship lights, railway
signal glass, chemical glassware and automobile lenses.
It is, however, impossible to enumerate the multitude of
different articles manufactured by this company, as the
latest estimate placed the number at over 6.000.

PITTSBURGH LAMP, BRASS &amp;amp; GLASS COMPANY

The Pittsburgh Lamp, Brass &amp;amp; Glass Company was
incorporated in 1902 under the laws of New Jersey with
an authorized capital of $1,500,000, equally divided between
 preferred and common of the par value of $100 a
share. The company was formed by the consolidation of
the Pittsburgh Lamp and Brass Company of Allegheny,
Pa., the Kopp Glass and Lamp Co. of Swissvale, Pa., the
        <pb n="17" />
        PLANT oF
PrrrssurcH Lamp, Brass anp Grass CoMPANY
FACTORY NO. I, NORTH SIDE, PITTSBURGH, PA.

Fort Pitt Glass Co. of Pittsburgh, Pa., and Dithridge &amp;amp;
Company of Pittsburgh, Pa.
They employ about 1200 working people, some of
whom are highly skilled artists in their several lines.
They produce electric, gas and oil lamps; lighting fixtures
in great variety; a general line of glassware for lighting
purposes, in clear, opaque and colored glass; decorated
and etched glassware, and a varied line of signal glasses
in different colors, for use in the navy and on railroads.
The company’s brass works are on the North Side, Pittsburgh,
 and it has factories at Swissvale and Jeannette, Pa.
The president of the company is W. L. Curry; Nicholas
Kopp is Vice President and General Manager; W. F.
McNaugher, Secretary and Assistant General Manager,
and H. L. Brooks. Treasurer.
        <pb n="18" />
        C. L. FLACCUS GLASS COMPANY

The business of this concern was established by C. L.
Flaccus in 1879 and incorporated in 1904, with a capital
stock of $500,000. This was increased in 1919 to $750,000,
Its plants are located in Tarentum, Pa., and California,
Pa. Tn 1919 a consolidation was effected, in which the
Imperial Glass Co. of Charleroi, was merged with the
C. L. Flaccus Glass Co. The company maintains selling
agencies and warehouses in New York, Philadelphia, Boston,
 Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit. Its product includes
 a general line of hand-blown and machine-made
bottles and jars. The company was the first to manufacture
 wide-mouth bottles and jars by the machine process
in 1892. It was also the first to introduce natural gas in
the melting of glass. This was done in 1881. The company’s
 general office is in the Empire Building, Pittsburgh.
The officers are L. G. Flaccus, President; C. L. Flaccus, Jr.,
Vice President; J. C. Unverzagt, Treasurer and Secretary.

THE PHOENIX GLASS COMPANY

The Phoenix Glass Company was organized in 1880,
by Andrew Howard, formerly connected with the Union
Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, with a capitalization
 of $30,000. The company was reorganized in 1891,
the capitalization being $700,000. Its plant is located at
Monaca, Beaver County, Pa., on the New York Central
Lines, and occupies a space of about ten acres. The com.
pany was originally organized. for the manufacture of
specialties, but later made a very large line of lamp chimneys,
 and was the first company west of the Allegheny
Mountains to produce opal glass and rich cut glass. They
are now the largest exclusive manufacturers of illuminating
glassware in the United States, to which they devote their
entire efforts. The product consists of glass for electric,
oil and gas illumination, from the cheapest to the very
highest grade of ware for this purpose, embracing plain.
etched, cut, and the richest decorated ware. The largest
        <pb n="19" />
        proportion of the company’s product is sold in the United
States and Canada, but it is also exported to all countries
of the World. Nine hundred persons are employed, the
majority of whom are skilled workmen.

D. 0. CUNNINGHAM GLASS COMPANY
The D. O. Cunningham Glass Company was established
in 1849 and incorporated in 1898, under the laws of Pennsylvania.
 The capital is $245,000, in shares of $100 par,
and the company has a surplus of $65,000. Its plant
sccupies an entire city block on the South Side, Pittsburgh,
and employs 250 people, in the production of soda bottles
exclusively, by using O’Neil machinery. Its annual net
sales are $300,000, and its yearly capacity is 800,000 gross
of bottles. The officers of the company are H. V. Cunningham,
 President; L. S. Cunningham, Sr., Treasurer; and
William James, Secretary and General Manager.

The First National Bank at Pittsburgh is thoroughly
zquipped to handle promptly and economically all matters
pertaining to the export business of glass and other commodities.
 Tt finances cargoes of merchandise destined
to any part of the World. Its large resources enable it
to handle business of this kind. however large or complicated.

All branches of International Banking are completely
covered by our facilities.
We issue drafts and make payments in all parts of the
World.
We handle Trade and Bankers’ Acceptances.
All languages are spoken in our Foreign Department.
Officers of this institution are trained bankers with a
wide experience, and its directors are successful men in a
large variety of enterprises, affording a broad scope of
business knowledge.
        <pb n="20" />
        OFFICERS

Lawrence E. Sanps. .. |
Frank F. Brooks.
CrypE C. TAYLOR.
THos. B. Hupsox.
Oscar WiLsow. .
Wu. J. Frank. . .
P. W. DaHINDEN. |
J. PauL Forp.

.. President

....Vice President

ceueee.. Cashier
...... Assistant Cashier
, Assistant Cashier

.. Manager Foreign Department
--.... Assistant Manager Foreign Department
.... Assistant Manager Foreign Department

DIRECTORS

Jorn A. Buck... .... President, Big Four Oil &amp;amp; Gas Co., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Frank F. Brooxs. . . .
Ww. L. Curry. . ., ... Manufacturer, Piitsburgh, Pa.
Jonn A. Donavbson......... Vice President, Pittsburgh Coal Company
J. Rocers FLANNERY. . .. . President, Flannary Bolt Co., Pittsburgh, Pa.
Ww. H. HEARNE. . .. .... Director, La Belle Iron Works, Steubenville, O.
J. H. HiLLMAN, JR.. President, Hillman Coal &amp;amp; Coke Co., Pittsburgh, Pa.
D. T. Layman, Jr... .. .. Henry Phipps’ Estate
A. M. MORELAND. . .... «...Capitalist
P. W. Morgan. .. -.... President, East Pittsburgh National Bank
Wn. A. RENsHAW «o.... John A. Renshaw &amp;amp; Co.. Pittsburgh, Pa.
LAWRENCE E. SANDS

.. President
        <pb n="21" />
        I IETS IE IIE EE IN PO TOES LEER IEA RELL R re asses Teesqpas bq qpp pss ese “tore "ee

—

}
1%

uy

We

wl

FIFTH AVENUE AND WOOD STREET
CONVENIENT FOR YOU
First National Bank at Pittsburgh
CarrTAL .... ....% 4,000,000.00
SURPLUS. .......vovnnn. 2,000,000.00
Deposits ....... . 38,000,000.00
RESOURCES ... 50.000.000.00

pe

een sn SE EE EE HE MEE rr
        <pb n="22" />
        !
: Q)
;
|

i&amp;gt;
3

EY

no
NY

5
NC

©
th

&amp;gt;
tn

\)
—

—
vy

-_
-

ar

nm
he

~

-
-)

=
0D

OQ
CD

QQ
NY

QD.
a

0)
—~)

0
ir}

&amp;gt;
~

0)
ye

-4
J
°
n
nN
Vv
_—~

jos]
©

&amp;gt;
%
a
pled

”
-
1
3
;

a short distance from Pittsburgh, is one of the largest in
the world, employing several thousand persons. The
company also operates factories at Elwood, Ind., Toledo,
Ohio, Bethevan, Ind., as well as a factory in Pittsburgh.
It was at the Charleroi plant that many of the extraordinary
 things which have been done in glass, in recent
years, were accomplished. Perhaps the most important
of these things was the manufacture, for the first time in
America, of the great lighthouse lenses used by the United
States and other Governments in the lighthouses which
protect the coasts and waterways. Some idea of the
development of the glass industry can be formed from
the fact that in this plant there are made seven different
kinds of clear glass. Glass is made which can be subjected
to very violent treatment, such as throwing it around
without breaking. This glass is used in the steam gauges
of large locomotives and in other places where a glass is
required of sufficient toughness to resist great expansive
forces. Special heat-resisting glass, used where it is subject
 to high temperatures, as in miners’ safety lamps, is
also made here. Other products include all kinds of lluminating
 and industrial glassware, lantern globes, street lighting
 globes, lighting fixture glassware, ship lights, railway
signal glass, chemical glassware and automobile lenses.
It is, however, impossible to enumerate the multitude of
different articles manufactured by this company, as the
latest estimate placed the number at over 6.000.

x

f
{

PITTSBURGH LAMP, BRASS &amp;amp; GLASS COMPANY

The Pittsburgh Lamp, Brass &amp;amp; Glass Company was
incorporated in 1902 under the laws of New Jersey with
an authorized capital of $1,500,000, equally divided between
 preferred and common of the par value of $100 a
share. The company was formed by the consolidation of
the Pittsburgh Lamp and Brass Company of Allegheny,
Pa., the Kopp Glass and Lamp Co. of Swissvale, Pa., the

I
ey
        <pb n="23" />
      </div>
    </body>
  </text>
</TEI>
