<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
  <teiHeader>
    <fileDesc>
      <titleStmt>
        <title>Education, part two</title>
      </titleStmt>
      <publicationStmt />
      <sourceDesc>
        <bibl>
          <msIdentifier>
            <idno>1831623781</idno>
          </msIdentifier>
        </bibl>
      </sourceDesc>
    </fileDesc>
  </teiHeader>
  <text>
    <body>
      <div>
        <pb n="1" />
        Gl

La
Ton er
i 3
        <pb n="2" />
        An edition of 100 of
which this is

Pe 22°F

No.

to

/

This volume is a combination of a series of booklets
oublished by the First National Bank at Pittsburgh, in
exposition of our city’s progress in business and culture.
It is fitting that this record be dedicated to the
memory of the late beloved president of the First
National Bank, Mr. Lawrence E. Sands, whose vision
and work has made a very deep impression upon the
general welfare of this community.
May we hope that this volume will be worthy of a
place in your library, not only for your own pleasure and
information, but also for any inspiration it may furnish
for a future generation to maintain and enhance the fine
traditions of the City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK AT PrrrssurcH,
PITTSBURGH. Pa.
        <pb n="3" />
        er

The Story of

PITTSBURGH

Volume One
Number Fifteen

Wb

Education
Part Two

First National Bank at Pittsburgh
April, 1928

winks conven PISA SEAN otter REI EOVLTBOOOCT ONDER ERE nO OOT INNO SOOO 1
        <pb n="4" />
        This booklet, prepared and published by the First National
 Bank at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is one of a series issued,
from time to time, since August, 1919, portraying the various
industries of the Pittsburgh district, with the intention of emphazing
 the importance of Pittsburgh as a commercial and
financial metroplis. A large number of its many industries
have been described in the booklets, of which fifteen have
been published, to date. The following is a list of the subjects
discussed. with the date of issue:

Vol. 1, No. 1—Introductory Booklet... ...August, 1919
Vol. 1, No. 2—Iron and Steel.... .......September,1919
Vol. 1, No. 3—Iron and Steel (Part 2)... January, 1920
Vol. 1, No. 4—Coal and Coke. ......... June, 1820
Vol. 1, No. 5—Glass...... «.....December, 1920
Vol. 1, No. 6—Electrical Appliances. .....March, 1921
Vol. 1, No. 7—Radium. . .. ......August, 1921
Vol. 1, No. 8—Cement and Concrete. . . . . December, 1921
Vol. 1, No. 9—Clay Products. ...........December, 1922
Vol. 1, No. 10— Petroleum and Natural
Gas. ...
Vol. 1, No. 11—Petroleum and Natural
Gas (Part 2)........December, 1924
Vol. 1, No. 12—Food Products... .........December, 1925
Vol. 1, No. 18—Diversified Products. ...... April, 1927
Vol. 1, No. 14—Eduecation.. ...........April, 1928
Vol. 1, No. 15—Education (Part 2)........April, 1928

. December, 1923
        <pb n="5" />
        The Story of Pittsburgh
Education
PART TWO

CI

{TTSBURGH contains so many educational institutions
 of importance that it is impossible to enumerate
them all in one booklet. It has therefore been found
necessary to issue Part Two on the subject of Education.
Everything which may be taught in a great city may be
studied and learned in Pittsburgh, from the fundamentals
to the higher researches of education, including art, music,
anguage and business in its various departments.
Outside of Pittsburgh proper and within the limits of
Allegheny County there are many municipalities which
maintain grade and high schools of the very highest type,
but it is impossible to enumerate all of these institutions,
although they are strictly within the Pittsburgh community,
and are supported by Pittsburghers to a very large extent—
men and women whose business interests are located in the
city proper, but who have made their homes in the outlying
and suburban towns.
In this booklet many of Pittsburgh’s educational instisutions
 are detailed, but there are many others, among
which may be mentioned American Institute of Banking,
Pittsburgh Chapter, Alexander Hamilton School, American
School, Artists’ League, Artzberger Art School, Association
Automotive Schools, Auto School, B’Nai Israel Hebrew
Institute, Boyd Business College, Byron (Mary E.) School,
Catholic Boys’ School, Christensen School of Music, Christian
Brothers’ School, Community School, Comptometer School,
Conley Business School, Convent of Mercy School, Curry
College, Divine Providence Academy, East Liberty Business
School, Flambard School of French, French Institute of
Languages, Greer Business College, Hebrew Institute of
        <pb n="6" />
        Pittsburgh, the J. B. Hench School, International Correspondence
 Schools, Iron City College, Italian Institute of
Languages, Keller Dressmaking School, Keystone Automobile
 Driving School, King’s School of Oratory, Konner
Private School, Lamb School for Stammerers, La Salle
Extension University, Liberty School of Business, Mrs.
Grace Thomas Martin's School, Martin School, Martin’s
Grace Secretarial School, Montes Spanish School, John P.
Morris, (aviation) Morton School, Mount Immaculate
Alpha School, National Salesmen’s Training Association,
North Side Business School, Pace Accountancy Courses,
Pennsylvania State College, Pennsylvania Business College,
 Pittsburgh Academic and Business College, Pittsburgh
 Bible Institute, Pittsburgh College of Pharmacy,
Pittsburgh League for Hard of Hearing, Pittsburgh Mechanical
 Dental School, Pittsburgh School of Accountancy, Pittsburgh
 School of Auto Engineering, Pittsburgh School of Lip
Reading, Pittsburgh School of Speech, Pittsburgh Trade
School, Radio Corporation of Pennsylvania, Reno Hall,
Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary, St. Augustine’s
 School, St. Bede’s School, St. Canice’s School, St.
George’s Convent, St. Mary’s High School, St. Paul’s Monastery,
 St. Peter’s School, St. Philomena’s School, Slone
School of Popular Music, South Hills School of Music,
Spanish Institute of Languages, Universal Chiropractic
College, University School, Ursuline Academy, Ursuline
Young Ladies’ Academy, Virgil Piano School, Wallace
Schools, Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, Edw. A.
Woods School, and the various schools conducted by the
Young Men’s Christian Association and the Young Women’s
Christian Association.

THE CARNEGIE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY

“My heart is in the work,” the motto on the seal of the
Carnegie Institute of Technology, expresses Andrew Carnegie’s
 attitude toward its founding. As he had himself
experienced the struggles of a poor but ambitious young man
to advance himself, he was inspired to make it easier for other
        <pb n="7" />
        young people to get an education along technical lines. In a
letter to the mayor, dated November 15, 1900, Mr. Carnegie
tendered to the City of Pittsburgh the money to establish a
technical institution upon the condition that the city would
provide a suitable location of ample size for future extensions.
On November 26 the mayor transmitted the communication
 from Carnegie to the members of the Select and Common
Councils of the city. On December 15, Mr. Carnegie placed
the technical schools under the direction of the board of
trustees of the Carnegie Institute, and on January 28, 1901,
:he City of Pittsburgh accepted Carnegie’s gift.
The work of organizing the Institute of Technology was
:ommitted to the care of Dr. Arthur A. Hamerschlag, who
was appointed director. In 1918 his title was changed to
president and he continued in this office until 1922, when he
resigned. The rapid progress and expansion of the institute
was due largely to his energy and foresight.
In the course of the year 1902 a site was selected, and in
February, 1903, the trustees, meeting with a committee of
Councils, approved a tract of 32 acres of land adjoining
Schenley Park, near the Carnegie Institute building, as the
home of the new institute. This was acquired by the city in
September of the same year and tendered to the Carnegie
Technical Schools. Mr. Carnegie then agreed to place at the
disposal of the trustees of Carnegie Institute a sufficient
fund with which to erect the necessary buildings.
In April, 1905, ground was broken and in October of that
year the building now occupied by the college of industries
spened its doors to students. As new structures were made
ready for occupancy additional departments were inaugurated.
 In 1906 machinery hall of the College of Engineering
was erected; in 1907 the building of the women’s college, the
Margaret Morrison Carnegie College; in 1908 the science
yuilding; in 1912 the College of Fine Arts, and in 1914 the
central (administration) building. The Langley Laboratory
of Aeronautics was erected for war-time instruction, and in
1924 the new gymnasium. Since the original grant the
campus has been extended to include 52 acres and various
buildings have been added, including dormitories for men and
women, a library, inn, elc.

f
        <pb n="8" />
        FIRST GRADUATION IN 1908

In June, 1908, the institute awarded its first diplomas,
graduating students in chemical, civil, electrical, mechanical
and metallurgical engineering from the College of Engineering,
 and students in architecture from the College of Fine
Arts. On April 20, 1912, the name Carnegie Technical
Schools was changed officially to the Carnegie Institute of
Technology, and the institution received from the State of
Pennsylvania a charter of incorporation with the power to
confer degrees. The first degrees were given at the fifth commencement,
 in June, 1912.
The College of Engineering gives courses leading to the
bachelor of science degree in chemical, civil, commercial,
electrical, mechanical and mining engineering, and in chemistry,
 physics, and mathematics. A limited number of fellowships
 for a year’s graduate work in mining and metallurgy are
granted each year, for which the master of science degree is
conferred. These fellows work in cooperation with the United
States Bureau of Mines on research problems, and the results
of their investigations, which are published, are recognized
by the mining profession throughout the world as of great
value.
A bureau of metallurgical research was established a few
years ago, and it has already justified its creation. Many of
the problems of the steel industry are brought to it for solution.

An international conference on Bituminous Coal was
held at the Carnegie Institute of Technology in November,
1926, which was attended by over 1,700 delegates from all
sections of the United States, Canada, Mexico, England,
France, Germany, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Czechoslovakia
 and Japan, representing states, cities, universities,
learned societies, business and industry. A second International
 Conference on Bituminous Coal will be held under
the auspices of the Institute in November of 1928.
The College of Industries, which is a pioneer in its field,
gives the bachelor of science degree for four-year courses in
building construction, works management, printing and industrial
 education. The aim of these courses is to furnish to
        <pb n="9" />
        Margaret Morrison Carnegie College
Carnegie Institute of Technology
        <pb n="10" />
        industry salesmen, executives and administrative officers,
and the student specializes in the underlying science and
technique of production, sales and management: Unusually
complete shop equipment, combined with frequent visits to
the industrial plants of the Pittsburgh district, are great aids
in realizing the aims of the instruction.

FINE ARTS CO-EDUCATIONAL

The College of Fine Arts, which is co-educational, offers
courses leading to the bachelor of arts degree in architecture,
painting and decoration, music, drama and sculpture. The
college is equipped with a library of the fine arts, a theatre,
rehearsal, practice, exhibition, lecture, and drafting rooms,
studios, collections of objects of art, etc. Frequent recitals
and concerts by the orchestra are given by the students of the
department of music. The department of drama gives about
100 performances of plays a season, which are attended by
about 30,000 people. Scenery, costumes, lighting, as well as
the acting, and in some cases the plays, are the work of the
department. The students and graduates of the department
of architecture have brought distinction to the institute by
winning important fellowships and prizes in National competitions,
 and faculty and students in the department of
painting and decoration contribute largely to the annual
exhibition of the Associated Artists of Pittsburgh.
An important conference on the drama was held at the
Carnegie Institute of Technology in November, 1925, which
was attended by delegates from colleges, universities, the
professional theatre, little or community theaters. From the
interchange of views much information of value was secured.
The Margaret Morrison Carnegie College provides for
the education of women for occupations in the home, teaching
 and the business world. It offers courses leading to the
bachelor of science degree in household and costume economics,
 secretarial studies, general science, library and social
work. The following motto of the college, written by the
beloved Lucien Scaife, a former trustee of the institute,
adorns the entrance to the building: “To make and inspire
the home: to lessen suffering and increase happiness; to aid
        <pb n="11" />
        mankind in its upward struggles; to ennoble and adorn life’s
work, however humble, these are woman’s high prerogaives.””
 Instruction in this college is in many subjects modi-Ged
 from the traditional methods, in order to emphasize
laboratory, studio and field work and to combine the trainng
 of mind and hand: Extensive laboratory equipment is
provided for this purpose and frequent use is made of the
opportunities offered by the city environment for bringing
the students in contact with large scale operations, industrial
or professional.
The division of general studies gives instruction in the
academic branches in all the colleges.
In none of the phases of activity of this group of colleges
is there ever absent a constant stimulating reaction from the
Pittsburgh district as a dynamic background. Each year a
large number of leading scientists, engineers, specialists, and
executives from Pittsburgh companies give lectures in the
class-rooms of the various colleges. As a part of its contribution
 to the community the Carnegie Institute of Technology
shares with the people of Pittsburgh the lecture courses by
eminent physicists, chemists and other scholars which are
arranged yearly for its faculty and students, and members of
the faculty act as consultants and work out problems for the
industrial plants in the institute laboratories.

MR. CARNEGIE INTERESTED IN NIGHT
SCHOOL

The night school, a phase of education in which Mr.
Carnegie was deeply interested, has an enrollment of over
3800. Most of these students work during the day in the
ndustrial plants of Pittsburgh, over 1,200 firms being represented
 this year.
The day school has become international in its appeal,
students being registered this year from China, Japan, Egypt,
South Africa, India, Palestine, Canada, South America and
many of the countries of Europe. The enrollment exceeds
2.400, which, with the night and part-time students, gives a
total of 6,757.
        <pb n="12" />
        Each year in April the Carnegie Institute of Technology
has a night “at home,” when the people of Pittsburgh are
invited to visit the college, where students are at work in all
departments and special programs and exhibitions are arranged.

The endowment of the Carnegie Institute of Technology
at the present time amounts to about $15,000,000. An

Machinery Hall
Carnegie Institute of Technology

arrangement has been made between the trustees of the Institute
 of Technology and the Carnegie Corporation of New
York by which the sum of $8,000,000 will be added to the
endowment provided $4,000,000 is contributed by the friends
of the Institute of Technology. In other words, for every
dollar that is subscribed the Institute of Technology will
receive $2 from the Carnegie Corporation. One-third of this
amount may be in buildings; the other two-thirds must be
applied to the endowment. This fund must be secured by
1946.
        <pb n="13" />
        The authorities of the institute are not looking forward to
» policy of expansion. It is not expected that the enrollment
will be permitted to grow much beyond the present number
except in the evening classes, in which the students will be
accepted up to the capacity of the shops, laboratories, and
class-rooms. This number has already been reached in many
departments.
In the field of research, the Carnegie Institute of Technology
 is devoting itself especially to metallurgy and coal.
It is in these branches that it feels it can do most for the Pittsburgh
 district. At present it is approaching the study of
these subjects partly from a theoretical point of view, but
what is an abstraction today may be of great importance in a
oractical sense tomorrow.
The Institute of Technology enjoys noteworthy advantages
 through having as a background the city and district of
Pittsburgh, the industrial production of which annually
exceeds in its tonnage that of any other city in the world.
The diversity and perfection of technological practice involved
 in this production and at the range of industries coniributing
 to it are distinctive assets.
The City of Pittsburgh has reached its great importance
as an industrial center largely through the application of
scientific principles. It is, therefore, essential that its educational
 institution do all that is possible to advance the cause
of science. The advantages that come to an industrial community
 through the presence of a great school of engineering
are obvious. The necessity of encouraging work in the field
»f abstract research may not be so clear, but progress in
technology in the long run can be achieved only through advancement
 in the fundamental sciences.

ARNOLD SCHOOL

Arnold School, a college preparatory school for boys,
because of its beautiful location on a seven acre site within
the city limits, justly may be termed “A Country Day
School in the City”.
The school had its inception in the old George H. Thurston
 School which was founded in 1908, which was situated on
        <pb n="14" />
        the corner of Shady avenue and Aurelia street in the East
Liberty district. Charles W. Wilder, Boston University A.B.
and Harvard A.M., head of the school from 1915 to 1919, in
the latter year, acquired proprietary rights to the school and
renamed it Arnold School in honor of Rugby’s most famous
headmaster, Thomas Arnold, whose dominating personality
not only revolutionized that famous school and changed the
whole emphasis in the education of boys in England, but has
been the inspiration as well of many headmasters and prinsipals
 of successful boys’ schools of America.
In 1923, the rapid growth and progress of the school made
necessary a further reorganization and expansion. In the
spring of that year, through the generous cooperation of a
group of “incorporators” and “founders”, so-called, composed
 of enthusiastic parents and supporters of the school’s
policies, the well-known Holmes estate, occupying an extensive
 tract between Braddock avenue and Richland lane was
secured. Mr. Wilder's title to the school was assumed by a
board of trustees, and on November 18, 1923, the school was
established as a corporation of the first class, not operated
for profit, to which corporation Mr. Wilder relinquished his
financial control while remaining in charge of its adminstration.


During the five years on its new site and in its reorganized
‘orm, the school has come to have a national reputation as a
college preparatory day school for boys. During the past
year, for example, fifty percent of its graduates of the previous
 year, were, at mid-years maintaining honor standing
in their respective colleges, including not only local and
nearby institutions, but such colleges as Harvard, Yale,
Princeton, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dartmouth,
 and West Point. Its recent growth and progress
have been one of the most note-worthy events in the educational
 developments of Pittsburgh and have contributed to
-he process that is now making Pittsburgh a center of culture
as well as steel.
The school now covers all the range of instruction from
the first grade to college. It has two departments: Junior
and Senior, respectively, the former being under the personal
charge of George F. Whitman, A.B. Harvard ’16. who has
        <pb n="15" />
        Arnold School
South Braddock Avenue
        <pb n="16" />
        been actively associated with the headmaster, Mr. Wilder,
in the administration of Arnold School and its predecessor
since 1917. These administrators are supported by a faculty
of eleven men and two women.
The trustees of the school are: H. V. Blaxter, Arthur V.
Davis, Joseph W. Kennedy, G. C. Kimball, W. B. Klee,
Rt. Rev. Alexander Mann, D.D., John S. McCormick, T.
E. McMurray, M.D., William L. Monro, J. W. Oliver,
Cornelius D. Scully, J. Ramsey Speer, George R. Wallace,
R. E. Withers, J. Merrill Wright.
Officers of the Board of Trustees are: president, G. C.
Kimball; vice-presidents, H. V. Blaxter and R. E. Withers;
treasurer, J. Merrill Wright; secretary, George F. Whitman.
Executive Committee—G. C. Kimball, president (Ex-officio),
H. V. Blaxter; George F. Whitman, secretary (Ex-officio),
W. B. Klee, J. Merrill Wright, J. S. McCormick, R. E.
Withers.

DUFFS-IRON CITY COLLEGE

Duff’s College is the pioneer business training school in
America. Few Pittsburghers realize the distinction that
came with the establishment of this institution in 1839, when
our fair city was about one-half square mile in area. The
history of the growth of Pittsburgh and of Duff’s College
over more than a four score of years testify to the propriety
of the slogan, “Pittsburgh Promotes Progress”.
Peter Duff, the founder of Duff’s College, was born in
New Brunswick, Canada, in 1802. Early in life he became a
prosperous merchant in St. Johns; but a conflagration in
1835 made him and many others bankrupt. After turning
over all he had to his creditors, he set out in search of fortune
anew in a strange land.
On his way to New Orleans, he was detained at Pittsburgh
 because of low water. His finances likewise being at
low tide, he tried to get work in the offices of the various business
 houses of the day. Bookkeeping was not then, as it is
now, a system, but his knack for systemization so impressed
the business men that he was induced to begin private
        <pb n="17" />
        instruction for themselves and their clerks. He thereupon
abandoned his plans to proceed to New Orleans, and in
1839 the first business training school of America had its
inception in Pittsburgh at the corner of what is now First
avenue and Market street.
His efforts were highly repaid by the interest and cooparation
 of enterprising merchants. and in the following vear.

Duffs-Iron City College
424 Duquesne Wav

1840, the school was incorporated by the Legislature of the
State as “Duff’s Mercantile College of Pennsylvania”. The
school grew in popularity and size, and after nearly twenty
years, it was removed to Fifth avenue, where it located in
the Hussey building. In 1858, William H. Duff succeeded
his father and became principal of the college. Under his
direction, the institution attained the leading rank among
pusiness colleges. Requiring larger quarters, the school re-
        <pb n="18" />
        moved to the Eichbaum building. Fifth avenue was the
address"of the school for over forty years.
In the latter location, another disastrous fire wiped out
the school. However, Mr. Duff was not only a great educator,
but an able financier. This combination of qualities, together
with strict integrity and firmness of purpose, enabled him
without delay to re-establish the college in its fourth location,
in the Harper building at Liberty avenue and Eighth street.
A year-book, a cloth-bound volume of eighty pages,
issued by the college while at this location, gives the names
and addresses of graduates from practically every state in
the Union. In 1904, the school was moved to the Irish building,
 where it remained for ten years. Two years after its
location at this address, Mr. Duff decided to retire from the
educational field, and on June 1, 1906, P. S. Spangler became
principal of the college.
Mr. Spangler’s educational background fitted him peculiaTly
 well for the office for which he was selected. His entire
life has been devoted to public and private school work. His
education was received in the public and normal schools of
Pennsylvania, Otterbein University and Iron City College,
where he received his technical commercial training. He was
a member of the faculty of Iron City College, and was
superintendent of the Commercial Department, for eight
years previous to his election as principal of Duff’s College.
In 1908, Duff’s College secured control of the Iron City
College, which was thereafter operated as a branch for
specialized training in Gregg shorthand and secretarial
duties and functions. In Duff’s, Graham shorthand and typewriting
 had been introduced many years previous, but the
growing popularity of the Gregg system made such a specialized
 school very desirable.
In 1914, Duff’s College removed to the second and third
floors of the Stanwix building, Penn avenue and Stanwix
street. In 1921, control of the Martin Shorthand School was
secured, and this was combined with the Iron City branch.
The growth of the school became so phenomenal, that the
combined quarters of the Iron City branch and Duff’s were
wholly inadequate, and it became necessary to seek more
extensive space. In 1922, therefore, a four-story building on
        <pb n="19" />
        Duquesne way was acquired, and the three schools were consolidated
 and housed under one roof.
Few cities can pride themselves with a private school
building so commodious, adequate and well arranged, as
Pittsburgh can in the Duffs-Iron City College building. Nothing
 has been spared in making this building a model for business
 training. It contains 33,000 square feet of floor space,
and is arranged in four wings, so that light is admitted to each
classroom from three sides. On the first floor, in addition to
the executive offices, are the library, a spacious foyer, an
auditorium with capacity for 800 people, rest rooms, hospital,
 and cafeteria. The second. third and fourth floors are
devoted to classrooms.
Duff’s College, to-day, has an enrollment in excess of 1600
students annually, and a total registration of over 53,500
since its incorporation in 1840. The combined registration of
Duff’s College, Iron City College, and the Martin Shorthand
school is approximately 116,500 students, exclusive of the
enrollment of a branch of the college operated in Beaver
Falls, Pa.
A faculty of twenty teachers is maintained under the
direction of the following executive officers: P. S. Spangler,
president and manager; M. S. Johnston, secretary and registrar;
 S. E. Bowman, treasurer and principal; J. Merle
Baltzer, assistant principal; Karl M. Maukert, superintendent
 Bookkeeping and Accounting schools; J. Fred Gardner,
superintendent Shorthand and Typewriting schools: M. E.
Mattes, superintendent Finishing school.
It is a noteworthy circumstance that in the eighty-nine
years of Duff’s history, there have been only three men at
the head of the college: the founder. his son. and the incumhent.

Mr. Spangler has been active in commercial school
education nationally, having served officially with the
National Commercial Teachers’ Federation, National Association
 of Accredited Commercial Schools, and for a number
of years was secretary of the Private School Managers’
Association. He has been honored by the Presidency of the
Eastern Commercial Teachers’ Association, and is a past
president of the Rotary Club of Pittsburgh. as well as a
        <pb n="20" />
        present member of the Committee on Education of the
Chamber of Commerce.

ELLIS SCHOOL,

The Ellis School was opened at its present location,
1860 Ellsworth avenue, September, 1916, with an enrollment
 of only 40 pupils. The aim of the school primarily is
to prepare girls for college, and to give those not going to
college a thorough training in an elective course of study.
The first class of three girls was graduated in June, 1918.
Since that time 64 girls have been graduated from the school
and 42 of these have entered college.
The French Club composed of advanced French students,
meets monthly, and in this way its members become more
conversant with the French language. The children of the
primary grades are interested in their work through projects,
hand work and industrial art. There is also a successful Art
club and the annual Art tea is one of the interesting social
events of the school. The Geography club adds interest to
that subject and the work planned and carried out by the
children.
This year the eighth-grade has published two issues of
the Ellis Chronicle, and one issue of the Freshmen Flurries
has also been published. These magazines add much interest
to the English work. A large gymnasium and a study hall
were added to the school building last summer, and have
been of great value to the school work.
Sara Frazer Ellis, head mistress, and Marie Elder Craighead,
 associate head mistress, are assisted by a teaching
staff of 14 women.

OUR LADY OF MERCY ACADEMY

A four-story brick building on Penn street became in
1843 the Mother House of the Sisters of Mercy; and it was
there, the next year that Mother Francis Warde furnished
two of its rooms and opened a select school for girls. In this
humble beginning was laid the foundation of the present
Mount Mercy Academy. To a new structure. erected al
        <pb n="21" />
        The Ellis School
4860 Ellsworth Avenue
        <pb n="22" />
        Our Lady of Mercy Academy
2332 Fifth Avenue
        <pb n="23" />
        Webster avenue, the classes were transferred in 1850. As
the student body increased from year to year, more spacious
rooms and grounds were necessary. This necessity was satisfied
 in 1894, when the Academy found itself in the healthful
and pleasant atmosphere of 3333 Fifth avenue. Here, for
thirty years, the edifice, designed in French Renaissance,
raised its towers and turrets far above the smoke and din of
the city. But the night of October 24, 1924, witnessed the
building aflame, and the grey dawn looked on its ruin. After
this calamity, the convent library, study halls, and parlors
accommodated the pupils; then on September 12, 1927, the
classes were resumed in the new structure, designed in Collegiate
 Gothie.
Our Lady of Mercy Academy is affiliated to the Catholic
University of America, to the Department of Public Instruction
 at Harrisburg, and is in the Association of Secondary
Schools of the Middle States and Maryland. Catalogues
giving details may be had by applying to The Directress.

PITTSBURGH MUSICAL INSTITUTE, Inc.

What is perhaps not realized by many Pittsburghers is
the fact that the Pittsburgh Musical Institute is one of the
largest and most progressive music schools in the country.
As a music school it has been conspicuously successful from
its inception. It was incorporated in 1915 with about 150
students and a faculty of 18 teachers. It has grown so rapidly
that in 1928 it has more than 2000 students and a faculty of
56 teachers, all specially trained for their work. For the
first five years of its existence the Institute was located on
Fifth avenue near the Masonic Temple, but in 1921 acquired
its own building on its present location at 131-133 Bellefield
avenue. Here are 36 teaching rooms and a recital hall with a
fine three manual concert organ, and in another part of the
building also a smaller organ for practice purposes. For the
convenience of pupils living at a distance from headquarters
the Institute maintains branch studios at Aliquippa, Ambridge,
 Bellevue, Butler, Canonsburg, Crafton (two studios),
Dormont, Elizabeth, Monaca, Mount Lebanon, New Ken-
        <pb n="24" />
        sington, North Braddock, Pitcairn, Sewickley, Swissvale,
Tarentum, and Wilkinsburg, where four studios are necessary
to meet the growing response to well supervised music instruetion.
 Within the city proper there are, besides the main
school, studios at Squirrel Hill, Homewood, two at East
Liberty, and two on the North Side, making it possible for
children in these sections of the city to have the highest type
of music instruction without the loss of time or the inconvenience
 and danger of traveling about the crowded city.
The Institute offers courses from the very beginning to
the highest graded courses leading to graduation. Post
graduate work is done here by many students from other
schools. The aim of the Institute is to provide a complete
musical education for its pupils, not merely instruction that
leads to technical proficiency. To this end the Institute has
two classes of students, regular and special. The former take
the principal and all secondary studies with the required
classes, while the special pupils take only one or more
branches, such as piano, voice, violin or organ. An important
feature is the supervision of the regular work of all pupils
through special hearings by the directors or heads of the
departments. For many years the directors have put special
care and painstaking effort into developing better teaching
and more rapid and thorough training for both children and
adult beginners and those in the earlier grades and feel that
they have been unusually successful in this department.
Two of the outstanding developments sponsored by Pittsburgh
 Musical Institute in this field are the Visuola, or
visual method for either private or class teaching, and the
Helen Curtis class system, as used in the best music schools
in this country and many of the public schools.
Many opportunities are given students for public appearances
 and in addition there are many faculty recitals presenting
 unusual programs. These recitals will pass a total of
800 by the end of the school year 1927-28. Important features
are the P. M. I. Chorus and Orchestra, both large organizations
 and free to the students. Some of the recent outstanding
 performances by the chorus are “The Gondoliers,”
by Gilbert and Sullivan; “Martha”, by Flotow (which was
repeated two weeks after the first performance to accom-
        <pb n="25" />
        Pittsburgh Musical Institute
131-133 Bellefield Ave.
        <pb n="26" />
        modate those not able to get into the auditorium at the first
presentation); “The Chimes of Normandy,” by Planquette;
and on May 2, 1928, the perennially popular “Mikado” by
Gilbert and Sullivan, was given at Carnegie Music Hall.
The orchestra is heard in several public performances each
season in well selected programs featuring one or more wellknown
 soloists. All these choral and orchestra programs are
free to the public. A notable feature the past season has
been the series of five historical piano concerto recitals,
which have been attended by large audiences. Each season
also brings a series of illustrated program talks on the concerts
 given at the Mosque by the visiting orchestras, and the
summer term of six weeks in June and July is featured by
another series of six lecture recitals by the directors. In this
connection it is interesting to know that P. M. I. was the
first music school in the country to broadcast programs.
An important feature is the arrangement with the University
 of Pittsburgh for the exchange of credits whereby
students can make music the major subject and receive from
the University the A. B. degree. :
All the affairs of the Institute are managed by the three
directors, Dallmeyer Russell, William H. Oetting and
Charles N. Boyd. This board is further supported by an
advisory board consisting of Mrs. D. M. Clemson, Dr.
Charles Heinroth, of Carnegie Institute; John A. Bell and
Frank Milton Hunter.

THURSTON PREPARATORY SCHOOL

The Thurston Preparatory School, the pioneer private
preparatory school for girls in Pittsburgh, was organized in
the late eighties by Miss Alice M. Thurston and sent its
first graduate to college in 1894. The Thurston school has a
high standing in Pittsburgh and is also well known in educational
 circles elsewhere. Many of its graduates have entered
college and a number of these girls have won high honors in
these higher institutions.
For a number of years the school had its home on Penn
avenue in East Liberty, but it soon outgrew its environment,
and a specially planned fire-proof building was constructed
        <pb n="27" />
        for the school on Shady avenue. In later years a large additional
 wing was added for gvmmasium and class rooms. and

Miss Alice M. Thurston, M.A., Principal
Thurston Preparatory School
2580 Shady Avenue

more recently a fine playground, adjacent to the school, has
been acquired, where out-of-door recreation is possible for
all classes.
        <pb n="28" />
        The school is organized systematically, from Montessori
to college. The students of the Upper School have a choice of
schedule between the regular preparatory work, which prepares
 for the College Board examination, and a general
course which prepares the students to follow special lines of
advanced study after graduation.
It may be said that the keynote of the school, from the
first, has been individual development, although pupils are
grouped in small classes. It is believed that such grouping
tends to the development of enthusiasm and at the same time
no child is lost sight of in his daily work. The aim of the
school is not only to prepare its pupils for higher scholastic
work, but to fit them for the responsibilities of home and
civic life. A gratifying number of efficient women who
are engaged in active work in the city, in business, in social,
and in philanthropic effort, gained their early training in the
Thurston School. The faculty consists of teachers of experience
 and special training. Regular work in gymnasium is
provided for and there is a strong student government
srganization which works in harmony with the faculty.
Official Staff—Alice M. Thurston, M. A., Principal;
Marv E. Kendrick, Secretary.

THE WINCHESTER SCHOOL

One of the best schools for girls in Western Pennsylvania,
and which has had a most beneficial effect on the womanhood
of Pittsburgh for over a quarter of a century, is the Winchester
School, which is located in the residential portion of the city.
in the Shadyside district.
The Winchester School, the Misses Mitchell’s School,
began its operations in 1902, with 40 pupils enrolled. Its
first location was on Braddock avenue, in the East End of
Pittsburgh, but its continued growth made a more central
tocation advisable, and within a few years the school was
moved to No. 4721 Fifth avenue, where a fine building was
erected for its accommodation. A large playground and
athletic field, extending to Clyde street, aids in the outdoor
athletics of the students.
        <pb n="29" />
        Winchester School
The Misses Mitchell School
4721 Fifth Avenue
        <pb n="30" />
        The ideals of the Winchester School were always of the
highest levels, and the members of the faculty were ever
chosen for their ability to measure up to the high ideals prevailing
 in the management of the school, as well as for their
high standing in the world of education and in the departments
 they were chosen to teach. It was because of these
ideals, and of the teachers chosen to inculcate them, that the
school has prospered and expanded, until its present enrollment
 is between 250 and 300 girls.
The course of study is thoroughly practical and complete,
for it takes children through the Montessori and kindergarten
grades, and proceeds upward, through college preparatory
work, which has become exceptionally well known throughout
 the United States, and Winchester students are welcomed
in the highest institutions of learning. By June of this year,
when commencement exercises take place, 474 girls will have
been graduated by the Winchester School. Many of these
graduates have successfully passed the courses of the larger
Eastern colleges for women, having received degrees from
Vassar, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Wellesley and Bryn Mawr.
A smaller number have graduated from universities and art
schools.
The Winchester is a private school, conducted by Miss
M. A. Graham Mitchell.

PARK INSTITUTE

For a generation or two before 1889, the school that is
now Park Institute was the preparatory department of the
Western University of Pennsylvania. which later became the
Univeristy of Pittsburgh.
In 1889 Professors Levi Ludden, Charles R. Coffin and
Wm. D. Rowan, bought the Preparatory School and changed
the name to Park Institute. A commercial department with
day and evening sessions was opened at once by Mr. Rowan.
The school has functioned as a business school ever since,
the preparatory department having been discontinued in
1903.
There has been only one real change in the management
of Park Institute in forty years. O. B. Hughes came from
        <pb n="31" />
        Park Institute
8 W. North Avenue
        <pb n="32" />
        the Bryant and Stratton Business College of Baltimore in
1901, to take charge of the commercial department. Mr.
Rowan was the last of the original organizers to retire. He
sold his interest to Mr. Hughes in 1909.
While Park Institute as a business school is not the
oldest in the city, it is an outgrowth of a whole century of
uninterrupted educational work. The changes in the personnel
 of the instructors have been very few. It seems to be a
place where once one is placed he wants to stay. Leo C.
Mueller, assistant manager, and Miss C. Minerva Brumbach,
as secretary, have been rendering invaluable support and
assistance in maintaining the high quality of the school
since 1915.
The whole purpose of Park Institute is to give young
men and women a superior training for the profession of
Business, the most highly paid and fascinating of all professions.
 The result of these years of careful work in preparatory
 education fully justifies the efforts. In the city are
hundreds of professional men, mostly lawyers and physicians,
who took their college preparatory work in Park Institute a
quarter of a century or more ago; but the number of successful
business men and executives who owe their start in life to the
lessons learned at Park Institute is much greater, for there
has been a continual stream of young people of both sexes
turned out every year from the school that has been “forty
years on North avenue.”

PITTSBURGH ACADEMY

Pittsburgh Academy owes its inception to J. Warren Lytle,
1854-1914, a pioneer in the field of secondary education in
Pennsylvania. In 1882, then at the age of 28, Mr. Lytle perceived
 the need of a first-class college preparatory and business
 school that would combine educational and cultural
advantages with efficient business training.
The first home of the Pittsburgh Academy was in a
building known as Neville Hall, located at Fourth and
Liberty avenues, in the “golden triangle” of Pittsburgh.
Here a faculty of four capable and earnest instructors laid
the foundation for the future greatness of the Pittsburgh
        <pb n="33" />
        Mrs. J. W. Lytle
“Mother”’
Pittshursh Academy
        <pb n="34" />
        Academy. That the academy filled a definite need in the
life of the growing industrial center was evidenced by the
steady and marked increase in the enrollment of the student
body, a tribute to the foresight of Mr. Lytle and to the methods
 of instruction employed at the Academy.
In 1896 Neville Hall was unable to accommodate the
students who sought admission, and more spacious quarters
became necessary. The buildings formerly occupied by the
University of Pittsburgh, then known as the Western University
 of Pennsylvania, were secured and occupied until
1909, when this ground was taken for the new City-County
building. The new and more centrally located May building
then became the home of the Pittsburgh Academy.
Here a period of growth and expansion began which in
1915 necessitated securing larger quarters to accommodate
the constantly increasing student body. An ideal location
was selected in the most refined section of down-town Pittsburgh,
 581 Wood Street. The building was entirely remodeled
to suit the needs of the school.
That the ambitious dream of the founder has been more
than realized is amply attested by the fact that over 11,000
men and women have been graduated from Pittsburgh
Academy in the last 46 years, and today are successful
ministers, lawyers, physicians, teachers, merchants, manufacturers,
 editors, bankers and men and women of affairs.
The enrollment has twice doubled itself within the last five
years, and the institution bids fair to witness a period of
expansion and growth unexampled in its own history.
Herbert G. Lytle, A. B., is president and director; Rhuel
Hampton Merrill, B. S., B. D., D.D., is president emeritus,
and Mrs. J. W. Lytle is secretary. A large faculty has charge
of the many departments comprised in Pittsburgh Academy’s
courses of instruction.
Mothers of students regard Mrs. J. W. Lytle, wife of the
founder and mother of the present president of the Pittsburgh
 Academy, with the warmest affection. She is known as
“Mother Lytle”, and she never forgets a student or his school
record. From her vast store of wisdom she advises graduates,
encourages the students, and welcomes the strangers.
        <pb n="35" />
        FIRST NATIONAL BANK AT PITTSBURGH

The facilities of the First National Bank at Pittsburgh
are offered to those interested in education, whether as
teachers or students, whether attending the greater institutions,
 or the public, private or parochial schools.
The Bank conducts Checking and Saving Departments,
and maintains a friendly and constructive attitude to all its
clients, inviting them to consult its Officials on all matters
of finance, including investments and the sending of money
abroad.
While the figures given below show that the Bank is
gualified to handle with satisfaction the largest monetary
transactions, small accounts are given the same painstaking
care as those of the great corporations. Many of the Bank’s
largest accounts have grown from beginnings of very modsrate
 proportions.
Many Pittsburghers never travel without asking the
experts of the First National Bank’s Tourist Department to
arrange their programs. They can often suggest vacation
plans which would not occur to the busy man or woman, and
being agents for all Steamship companies, by Ocean or Lake,
they are in a position to make selections of accommodations
entirely in the interest of their clients. Their experience in
this work guarantees satisfaction. All details of travel are
arranged, including the procuring of passports, and the buying
 and selling of foreign money, as well as the issuance of
Letters of Credit and Travelers’ Checks.

ER

Capital. . ..
Surplus. . .
Undivided Profits and Reserves.
Deposits.
Resources

$6,000,000.00
6,000,000.00
1,817,054.35
84,701,389.76
'106,716,001.57
        <pb n="36" />
        DIRECTORS

RoBerT WaRrDROP, Chairman of the Board

Frank F. BROOKS.....cooeeen ce. wweeVice-President
E. M. BYERS... Chairman of the Board, A. M. Byers Co.
Henry CHALFANT......... Chairman of the Board, Spang, Chalfant &amp;amp; Co., Inc.
W. L. CLAUSE,....................Chairman of the Board, Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co.
W.D. GEORGE... ceneceencmeeneee REE Estate
J. H. HiLLMaN, JR.............Chatrman of the Board, Hillman Coal &amp;amp; Coke Co.
A. L. HUMPHREY... President, Westinghouse Airbrake Co.
D. T. Layman, Jroo oo. o veemenry Phipps Estate
F.H. Lrovp........._.. reece CAPER SE
A. M. MORELAND............. cover Capitalist
P. W. MORGAN, ................. President, First National Bank, Wilmerding, Pa.
GEORGE E. PAINTER.......ceoeeo cemraemeeemenemncasenannmesesassanmenneenn CAP ILATESE
BE. W. PARGNY cocoon President, American Sheet 8 Tin Plate Co.
Wu. A. RENSHAW... coe Foln A. Renshaw &amp;amp; Co., Pittsburgh
A. C. RoBINSON..........ooooooo.... President, Peoples Savings € Trust Company
Lawrence E. Sanps._....... ssn TES Sang
Issac M. SCOTT... ee President, Wheeling Steel Corporation
CLYDE C. TAYLOR occ Vice-President and Casiier
Vernon F. Tavior...................... Banker and Oil Operator, Indiana, Pa.
BENjaMIN THAW... ooo Capitalist and Trustee, Thaw Estate
RoserT WaRrDROP. Director of Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland and Vice-President.
 Peoples Savings &amp;amp;&amp;amp; Trust Co.
E. T. WHITER coercion oo cooenenmnennnVdc0-President Penna. R. R. Co.
Joun M. WiLsoN............__ President. National Supply Co. Pittsbureh. Pa.
        <pb n="37" />
        OFFICERS

Lawrence E. Sanps.....

Frank F. Brooks...

Crype C. TAYLOR.......

J. HowaARrRD ARTHUR...

WiLLiam H. FawcerT......

Tuomas B. HupsoN. ooo...

Grier C. ORR ............

Joan DEM. WERTS. _ ...oocoooeeeee

Oscar WiLsoN..

Wu. I. FRANK ........

ree President

Vice-President

Vice-President and Cashier

Vice-President

Assistant Cashier

Assistant Cashier

Assistant Cashier

 Aectctant Cashier

Aesistant Cashier

 Manaver Foreion Department

P. W. DAHINDEN ooo Assistant Manager Foreign Department

[. Paul Forp......

CC Aecictant Manaver Foreign Department
        <pb n="38" />
        FIRST NATIONAL BANK
AT PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA

FIFTH AVENUE AND WOOD STREET
CONVENIENT FOR YOU
        <pb n="39" />
        §
?

50
gs
jw
i=$3

55
i oO
z N

o
NY

“4

RS

x
[4,1]

4

&amp;gt;
n

|

A
£S

lt
00

1

Ea
Ty

!

=
-

|

i

=

Oo
0

oO
LD

Q
Nd

oo
—

3

0
aN

|

oe)
oir

&amp;gt;
-—]

Q
on

Webster avenue, the classes were transferred in 1850. As
the student body increased from year to year, more spacious
rooms and grounds were necessary. This necessity was satisfied
 in 1894, when the Academy found itself in the healthful
and pleasant atmosphere of 3333 Fifth avenue. Here, for
thirty years, the edifice, designed in French Renaissance,
raised its towers and turrets far above the smoke and din of
the city. But the night of October 24, 1924, witnessed the
building aflame, and the grey dawn looked on its ruin. After
this calamity, the convent library, study halls, and parlors
accommodated the pupils; then on September 12, 1927, the
classes were resumed in the new structure. designed in Collegiate
 Gothic.
Our Lady of Mercy Academy is affiliated to the Catholic
University of America, to the Department of Public Instruction
 at Harrisburg, and is in the Association of Secondary
Schools of the Middle States and Maryland. Catalogues
giving details may be had by applying to The Directress.

PITTSBURGH MUSICAL INSTITUTE, Inc.

What is perhaps not realized by many Pittsburghers is
the fact that the Pittsburgh Musical Institute is one of the
largest and most progressive music schools in the country.
As a music school it has been conspicuously successful from
its inception. It was incorporated in 1915 with about 150
students and a faculty of 18 teachers. It has grown so rapidly
that in 1928 it has more than 2000 students and a faculty of
56 teachers, all specially trained for their work. For the
first five years of its existence the Institute was located on
Fifth avenue near the Masonic Temple, but in 1921 acquired
its own building on its present location at 131-133 Bellefield
avenue. Here are 36 teaching rooms and a recital hall with a
fine three manual concert organ, and in another part of the
building also a smaller organ for practice purposes. For the
convenience of pupils living at a distance from headquarters
the Institute maintains branch studios at Aliquippa, Ambridge,
 Bellevue, Butler, Canonsburg, Crafton (two studios),
Dormont. Elizabeth. Monaca. Mount Lebanon. New Ken-3

 3
D
A
y PD
—-—

Q
wow
      </div>
    </body>
  </text>
</TEI>
