gained by observation of a great number of cases, by study of the mode of its advent, by the full knowledge of its course, by the appreciation of all the co-operating agencies which bring it about and maintain it and eventually lead to the destruction of the human being who is the host of its parasitical tendencies. Authorities in public health work state definitely that no more important field of preventive medicine and of curative medicine exists, that no better results can be looked for in any form of medical work. Officers and directors are as follows: James Hay Reed, Founder; Arthur E. Braun, Acting President; Roy A.Hunt, Treasurer; J. G. Hamilton, Assistant Treasurer; Mrs. George L. Collord, Secretary; Mrs. George B. Berger, Jr., Rt. Rev. Hugh C. Boyle, Louis Brown, L. H. Burnett, Harmar D. Denny, Jr., Mrs. John C. Dilworth, J oseph Dilworth, Leon Falk, Berthold Floersheim, Rev. Dr. A. C. Howell, Mrs. John W. Lawrence, W. L. Mellon, Miss Helen Blanche Rauh, David A. Reed, Mrs. J. D. Tilford, Mrs. William P. Witherow. PITTSBURGH TUBERCULOSIS HOSPITAL The City of Pittsburgh maintains the Tuberculosis Hospital, not as a charitable institution, although patients are not permitted to pay for care in the hospital or for professional services rendered. It is operated under the direction of the Director of the City Department of Public Health, primarily as a major item of preventive medicine in the control and prevention of tuberculosis in Pittsburgh. One of the main objects is the hospitalization of infectious cases or individuals who are a menace to their families and others with whom they may come in contact. The hospital alms not only at the restoration to health of such individuals, but their isolation until such time as they are no longer capable of transmitting the disease to others, or until education in preventive measures has rendered them harmless to society. The City of Pittsburgh completed the main buildings of the Tuberculosis Hospital in the year 1915 with a capacity of 150 patients. During the years 1923 and 1927, additions were erected, increasing the capacity to 300 patients.