1891, at the request of the board of directors, three hundred women met in the Odd Fellows Hall, and organized the Ladies Aid Society of the South Side Hospital and this organization has been one of the greatest factors in the financial development of the institution. The work of the hospital grew so rapidly that in 1892 it was necessary to plan for a new building. The present site at South Twentieth, Mary and Jane streets, was selected and purchased for $20,000 and a $100,000 hospital built. The new hospital was ready for occupancy on December 1, 1893, and the description of it in the fifth annual report describes it as “the finest and most complete hospital in the State.” The bed capacity was seventy. In 1895 a training school for nurses was opened. In the report of Dr. A. J. Barchfeld, president of the board in 1903, he made an appeal to the public to help the hospital build a new wing and home for nurses. He says in this report, “The South Side Hospital is recognized as the only institution of its kind south of the Monongahela and Ohio rivers in Allegheny county, which territory contains a population of over 200,000 souls.” His appeal was answered by Mrs. Amelia N.S. Oliver and her children, Mrs. Amelia Neville Crittenden, Mrs. Frances Oliver Johnson, Mrs. Edith Oliver Dusmet and D. Leet Oliver, as a memorial to husband and father, the late James Brown Oliver. This building was opened in March, 1909. The old building now became the administration building, while the new Oliver Memorial Annex made it possible to care for over two hundred patients. With increased accommodations for patients, the need for a nurses’ home and pathological research laboratory was greater. The Laboratory, the gift of Nathaniel Holmes, was opened in 1910. In 1918 a nurses’ home at a cost of $63,000 was built. In 1914 the horse-drawn ambulance was replaced with an automobile ambulance. In 1917 a large solarium was arected on the roof of the Oliver Memorial Building by Mrs. Amelia N. S. Oliver and furnished by Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Crittenden. The first officers of the Ladies’ Aid Society were: Mrs. J. S. McMillin, president; Mrs. J. W. Riddle, vice president; Miss E. J. Wallace, vice president: Mrs. G. B. Sweeney, re