Full text : Hospitals (Vol. 1, nr. 16)

It is a source of gratification that the Tuberculosis League of
Pittsburgh was one of the pioneers in establishing health
talks in public and parochial schools. The scheme adopted
was so successful that it was not only awarded an honor at the
International Congress on Tuberculosis held in 1908, but
adaptations of the Pittsburgh plan have been followed by
many other cities.
In addition to the hospital, dispensary and school work,
six popular pamphlets dealing with tuberculosis were prepared,
 and thousands of copies distributed free. Considering
the financial difficulties under which the new organization
was laboring, all these achievements in the first year of its existence
 represented a tremendous amount of effort on the
part of all connected with the institution.
In September, 1908, the Tuberculosis League of Pittsburgh
 opened the second open air school in America. The
school at first consisted of five children, all patients in the
hospital; the teacher herself was a patient, teaching the children
 at first only half a day. Outside pupils were quickly added,
 making it necessary in 1909 to employ a full time teacher,
whose salary the Civic Club paid for two years.
Beginning in 1910 and continuing to the present time, the
Board of Education supplied a fully qualified teacher, furnished
 an up-to-date school room, and books. The Ogontz
Society has each year, contributed funds for the services ofa,
full time nurse, and the League serves a hot noon-day lunch,
with milk in the morning and afternoon. The day pupils are
supplied with carfare, when necessary. There is a daily attendance
 of between 30 to 40. Children are recommended
for admission by school doctors or nurses. Although these
children are all predisposed to tuberculosis, in the 20 years of
its existence, no graduate of this open air school has succumbed
 to the disease.
As a result of this pioneer open air school, a number of
others have been opened in various parts of the city, under
Civic Club auspices, and then in each case taken over bv the
Board of Education.
With thousands coming to the dispensary for advice and
treatment, it was found imperative in 1909 to erect a separate
 dispensary building. This was done with the assistance
            
Waiting...

Note to user

Dear user,

In response to current developments in the web technology used by the Goobi viewer, the software no longer supports your browser.

Please use one of the following browsers to display this page correctly.

Thank you.