Full text : Diversified products (Vol. 1, nr. 13)

THE WOLFE BRUSH COMPANY

The older generation
still recollect the display
for almost a quarter of a
century on Wood street
« of two large stuffed boars,
“Sone white, the other
black, which held in
oo their mouths various
“RARY/ types of brushes. These
AN symbols of the brush
trade were displayed by Wolfe Bros. & Co., the pioneer
brush makers of Pittsburgh, who at one time occupied a
building whose site is now part of the plot on which the First
National Bank Building is now erected.

ESTABLISHED I85](
Yee oe sem

The Wolfe Brush Co. originated in 1851 by David Stewart,
 who located on Fifth street, later locating on Liberty
avenue, near Sixth street.
In 1883 after the death of David Stewart the business
was purchased by Wolfe, Patton & Co. and moved to
514 Wood Street. Later the firm name changed to Wolfe
Bros. & Co., and with the purchase of the Walker Brush
Co., of Franklin, Pa., became Wolfe, Walker & Co., by
which name it was known until the Company incorporated
in 1903 as the Wolfe Brush Co., shortly thereafter moving to
511 Wood street, where a retail business in brushes of all
kinds, including barber supplies, was conducted, the factory
 being located in a large building at Fifteenth and Bingham
 streets, South Side.
In 1912 the business was reorganized by the present
incorporation and the retail business was discontinued.
The factory was moved to the North Side, eventually occupying
 for its quarters the large site on Pennsylvania avenue
and Bidwell street, where high grade paint brushes are
made, together with a complete line of industrial brushes.

The firm makes a specialty of manufacturing specification
 brushes and numbers among its customers the large
            
Waiting...

Note to user

Dear user,

In response to current developments in the web technology used by the Goobi viewer, the software no longer supports your browser.

Please use one of the following browsers to display this page correctly.

Thank you.