Full text: Education (Vol. 1, nr. 14)

THE WESTERN THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY 
The very name is suggestive of history, for when the 
institution was created by the General Assembly of the 
Presbyterian Church in 1825, the site of Pittsburgh was con- 
sidered western. Pittsburgh did not secure this institution 
without a struggle. There was a year-long controversy as 
to its site, rival claims of various Ohio and Indiana towns, 
some of them now long forgotten, being urged as against 
“Alleghenytown,” then a village of seven hundred souls. 
The Assembly appointed a board of five commissioners to 
determine this site, and few now know that first of this group 
was General Andrew Jackson, of Tennessee. 
The first session formally opened on November 16, 1827, 
the instructors of this class of four being the Rev. Elisha P. 
Swift and the Rev. Joseph Stockton, both pioneer clergymen 
of the first rank. Dr. Stockton had been principal of the 
old Pittsburgh Academy, now the University of Pittsburgh. 
The centennial anniversary was observed with much cere- 
mony on November 16, 1927. 
The first building was erected in 1831 on what is now 
known as Monument Hill. This building was completely 
destroyed by fire on January 23, 1854. The second building, 
erected on Ridge Avenue facing West Park in 18355, and 
known as ‘‘Seminary Hall,” was partially destroyed by fire 
in 1887 and immediately repaired. In 1914 this building 
was demolished to be replaced by a large modern group, two 
wings of which were dedicated May 4, 1916. Architecturally 
the new buildings are English Collegiate Gothic, and struc- 
turally they are steel frame and fireproof. These two wings 
contain six class rooms, an office, a large faculty and directors 
room, a beautiful reading room 38 x 88 feet, a librarian’s 
office, a seminar room for private study, and a stack room 
capable of holding 160,000 volumes. For its size, it is ap 
equipment second to none in the country. 
The first dormitory was erected in 1859 and was made 
possible by the generosity of Mrs. Hetty E. Beatty, and 
known as Beatty Hall. This structure becoming inadequate 
by 1877, the Rev. C. C. Beatty furnished funds for a new 
dormitory, which was known as Memorial Hall, as Dr.
	        
Waiting...

Note to user

Dear user,

In response to current developments in the web technology used by the Goobi viewer, the software no longer supports your browser.

Please use one of the following browsers to display this page correctly.

Thank you.