Full text : Hospitals (Vol. 1, nr. 16)

The out-patient office went through vicissitudes of location
 during this time, but in September, 1925, was moved
from the hospital where it had been from November 18,
1918, back to the Federal building, where newly renovated
and equipped offices were ready for the purpose.

UNITED STATES VETERANS’ HOSPITAL

Pittsburgh may well point with pride to the new United
States Veterans’ Hospital No. 103, Aspinwall, Pa. It is beautifully
 located at an elevation of nine hundred and forty feet,
overlooking the Allegheny river as it winds its course to the
Ohio. The advantage of this location is its pleasant isolation
close to the city, yet removed from the beaten path. One
feels somehow close to nature, which is a large factor in creating
 contentment. There is a tranquillity, beauty and quiet
communication in the surroundings of green fields, splendid
trees with its bird and small animal life, its clear atmosphere
and sunlight, that combines an environment which promotes
healthful improvement.
No other government has provided such splendid system
of relief and institutional care for its war veterans. This Government
 provides hospitals for the care of the tubercular,
shell shock and mental, for general medical and surgical. In
fact, institutions for the care of all classes of disabled ex-service
 men or women of all wars.
The United States Veterans’ Hospital No. 103 at Aspinwall,
 Pa., is maintained by the United States Veterans’ Bureau
 for the care and treatment of ex-service men suffering
from tuberculosis. The hospital was formally dedicated on
July 25, 1925, under the auspices of the American Legion, at
which time General Frank T. Hines, Director of the United
States Veterans’ Bureau, United States Senator David A.
Reed, and many prominent men and women of Pittsburghand
vicinity, were present. The hospital was opened for the reception
 of patients on October 16, 1925.
The construction itself consists of numerous buildings,
large and small, of brick, tile and concrete, fireproof, situated
on a tract of one hundred and forty-seven acres, composed of
a main building, officers’ quarters, nurses’ home, attendants’
            
Waiting...

Note to user

Dear user,

In response to current developments in the web technology used by the Goobi viewer, the software no longer supports your browser.

Please use one of the following browsers to display this page correctly.

Thank you.