ing Friendship park and extending from Millvale avenue to
Gross street was purchased for this purpose. Upon it was
erected a fire-proof, six story brick building, having 250 individual
rooms with hot and cold running water, adequate
bath and toilet facilities, a large auditorium, library, sun
porches and roof garden. An underground passage connects
it with the hospital. The building was completed and ready
‘or occupancy May 1, 1923, at a cost, with furnishings, approximating
$671,000.
With the passing of the years and the growth of the hospital,
the need for expansion in the laboratory was felt to such a
Jegree that in 1925 the board of directors set itself the task of
raising funds for this purpose. A semi-public appeal followed
which met with such a whole-hearted and generous response
from friends and well-wishers of the institution, that the new
laboratories wing became a certainty. The contract for erection
was let in February, 1926, and the new building, which
stands upon the site orginally intended for a nurses’ home,
was officially opened October 20, 1927.
This new plant brings together all the various laboratory
activities of the hospital and contains the departments of
pathology, bio-chemistry, bacteriology, diagnostic X-ray,
deep therapy, physiotherapy and electrocardiograph. There
is a new metabolic pavilion and kitchen, and a new children’s
pavilion entirely separate from other activities. Thirty-four
private rooms have also been included, the income from
which will aid in maintaining these laboratories and in providing
for the necessary research work. With these additional
accommodations for patients. the hospital's capacity is 600
beds.
The present officers and directors of the hospital are: Officers:
James R. Mellon, president; James D. Hailman, first
vice-president; James W. Macfarlane, M. D., second vicepresident;
George D. Edwards, treasurer; C. W. Orwig, assistant
treasurer; M. H. Eichenlaub, secretary; Henry G.
Wasson, solicitor; Fidelity Title and Trust Co., custodian.
Directors— Wilson S. Arbuthnot, Charles D. Armstrong,
Michael L. Benedum, Arthur E. Braun, George S. Davison,
George D. Edwards, A. Rex Flinn, John G. Frazer, James D.
Hailman. Howard Heinz, James H. Lockhart, Albert J. Lo-