Full text : Cost of living in German towns

BRESLAU.

113

BRESLAU.

Breslau,  the  second  city  of  Prussia  and  the  sixth  in  point  of  population  in
Germany,  is  the  capital  of  the  Prussian  province  of  Silesia,  the  south-easterly
projection  of  the  German  Empire,  bounded  on  its  eastern  side  by  Russian  Poland
and  on  its  southern  side  by  the  Austrian  provinces  of  Bohemia,  Silesia  and  Galicia.
The  position  of  the  town  on  the  Oder,  at  the  point  where  that  river  begins  to
be  navigable  for  larger  craft,  has  been  the  chief  factor  in  the  development  of
Breslau  into  one  of  the  greatest  of  Germany’s  inland  trading  centres.  Thn
development  has  been  greatly  accelerated  since  the  transport  facilities  afforded
by  a  waterway  which  connects  the  town  with  the  Baltic  Sea  (and  by  the  Oder-Spree
  Canal  with  Berlin)  have  been  supplemented  by  the  provision  of  railways
which  make  it  possible  to  reach  Berlin  in  five  hours,  Dresden  in  three  and  a
half  hours,  and  Königshütte  (the  centre  of  the  Upper  Silesian  black  country),
in  a  little  under  three  hours.
The  surrounding  country  is  almost  exclusively  agricultural,  the  nearest
town  of  any  note  as  a  manufacturing  centre  being  Liegnitz,  about  40  miles  to
the  west,  where  the  main  lines  from  Berlin  and  Dresden  unite  and  form  an
important  railway  junction.  At  Oppeln,  about  50  miles  south-east  of  Breslau,
and  half-way  towards  Königshütte  another  junction  is  formed,  from  which  one
line  branches  southward  to  the  Austrian  frontier  town  of  Oderberg,  where  the
lines  converge  from  Vienna,  Buda-Pest,  and  Cracow.  The  other  branch
continues  south-east  to  Königshütte  and  the  Upper  Silesian  coal  and  iron  towns,
and  is  met  near  the  junction  of  the  German,  Russian,  and  Austrian  frontiers  (Dreikaiser ­
  ecke)  by  the  line  from  Warsaw  and  St.  Petersburg.  There  are  five  railway
stations  in  Breslau  and  these  dealt  with  3,272,000  tons  of  merchandize
(exclusive  of  consignments  of  less  than  half  a  ton)  in  the  course  of  1904.  Of
this  amount  2,612,000  tons  represented  goods  entered  and  666,000  tons  goods
despatched.  Among  the  former  the  chief  articles,  according  to  weight,  were
coal  and  coke  (1,224,000  tons),  timber  (225,000  tons),  building  stone
(193,000  tons),  cereals  (150,000  tons),  lime  and  cement  (73,000  tons),  and
iron  and  steel  wares  (23,000  tons).  The  goods  of  which  the  greatest  quantities
were  despatched  by  rail  were  fertilizers  (100,000  tons),  flour  and  cereals  (79,000
tons),  and  timber  (63,000  tons).  As  regards  the  river  trade,  figures  are
available  for  a  year  later.  In  the  course  of  1905,  11,182  vessels  (mostly  large
barges  either  towed  or  propelled  by  sails)  arrived  in  Breslau  carrying  456,000
tons  of  merchandize,  and  11,093  vessels  left  the  town  with  651,000  tons  ;  in
addition  11,462  vessels  passed  through  on  their  way  up  or  down  stream
carrying  1,606,000  tons  of  merchandize.  The  goods  carried  down-stream  from
Breslau  far  exceed  those  brought  up  to  the  town  from  the  lower  Oder.  The
former  consist  mainly  of  coal,  iron,  sugar  and  cereals,  and  the  lattei  of  ores,
bricks,  petroleum,  cereals  and  fish.
The  activities  of  the  municipality  embrace  all  the  usual  public  sei  vices,,
including  the  gas,  water  and  electricity  supplies.  The  town  al»o  owns  about
nine  miles  out  of  a  total  of  33  miles  of  the  electric  tramway  system,  and  holds
shares  to  the  value  of  £325,000  in  one  of  the  two  local  tramway  companies.
The  principal  theatre  is  also  municipal  property  and  is  supported  at  considerable
cost,  as  would  appear  from  the  fact  that  in  the  three  years  1901-3  the  expenses
exceeded  the  receipts  by  a  total  of  £14,000.
As  a  landowner  the  municipality  ranks  third  among  the  great  towns  of
Germany  for  it  owns  16,200  acres,  of  which  some  2,000  are  within  the  urban
area.  Its  revenue  from  this  source  in  1903  amounted  to  £25,000.
Since  September,  1901,  a  town  harbour  has  been  in  existence  formed  by
the  construction  of  locks  enclosing  a  portion  of  the  Old  Oder,  which  is  the
largest  of  a  number  of  arms  into  which  the  river  divides  near  the  city.

29088

P
            
Waiting...

Note to user

Dear user,

In response to current developments in the web technology used by the Goobi viewer, the software no longer supports your browser.

Please use one of the following browsers to display this page correctly.

Thank you.