under them, and the “lighter ends” (gasoline, kerosenes,
etc.) are distilled off. Because those ingredients vaporize
more readily, they pass off, while the lubricating stocks, from
which lubricating oils are made, remain. During the process
of refining, the paraffin is removed. The lubricating stocks
are filtered through clean fullers earth to remove impurities
and to produce the body and color of the motor lubricating
oil desired. The theory is, that as the oil globules pass through
this fullers earth, carbon and other particles of impurity are
attracted to it and held by the particles of earth.
The Freedom Oil Works is one of the oldest firms of its
kind in the Pittsburgh district. Started in 1879, it was incorporated
under the laws of the State of Pennsylvania, on
April 17, 1889, with a capitalization of $50,000. Among the
men originally interested and still connected with the company
are August J. Minke, Vice-President, and E. J. Bischoffberger,
Manager. In 1890 Joseph W. Craig of Pittsburgh,
well known in the oil and natural gas industry, purchased the
zontrolling interest in the company and became its President,
which position he occupied until his death, which occured in
the early part of 1912. During the life of Mr. Craig the business
progressed and grew until it became necessary to increase
the capital stock in 1901 to $250,000. At the death of
Joseph W. Craig, Percy L. Craig was elected to succeed him
as President, which position he has occupied since that time.
In 1914 the capital stock was increased to $500,000, and
in 1922 to $1,500,000. The company has occupied the same
site for its refinery since its inception. It also owns thirtyfive
distributing branches located in the principal towns and
cities of Western Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio, and Northwestern
West Virginia.
The present officers are: Percy L. Craig, President; A. J.
Minke, Vice President; Earle M. Craig, Assistant to the
President; C. E. McKee, Secretary and Treasurer; E. J.
Bischoffberger, Manager.
SOUTH PENN OIL CO.
The South Penn Oil Co. was incorporated under the laws
Pennsylvania on May 27, 1889, for the purpose of pro-