Full text : Hospitals (Vol. 1, nr. 16)

being generally met by the managers themselves and their
friends, with occasional aid from the State. But in spite of
the fact that the old building was constantly improved it
gradually began toshow its age, was expensive to keep up, and
a constant source of complaint by patients and their friends
on account of its remoteness from the street cars and the fatiguing
 hill to be climbed, to say nothing of its being no longer
adapted to modern scientific treatments. After mature deliberation
 it was decided to build upon a new site.
The old athletic field of the Pittsburgh High School, facing
 Friendship park, containing about three and one-half
acres, was purchased in the fall of 1906, and upon this ground
was erected the present structure which conforms in every
way to the needs of a modern hospital, both as regards sanitary
 arrangements and scientific equipment. The matter of
financing the construction of the new building was a problem
which presented many difficulties, but the outcome of the
project did not remain long in doubt, for the well-wishers of
the institution responded readily.
On January 1, 1912, the new plant was formally opened
and a public inspection invited. This invitation brought
forth a remarkable response, it being estimated that from
15,000 to 20,000 persons viewed the hospital on the afternoon
of that New Year's day. Two months were occupied in installing
 the equipment, furniture and necessary supplies, and
on March 11, 1912, the 219 patients in the old buildings, with
the nurses and employees, were transferred without accident
to the new hospital, which had cost somewhat over a million
dollars to erect and equip.
In its first year in the new building the hospital admitted
5,570 patients, while during the fiscal year, which ended May
31, 1927, there were 9,846 admissions. During the seventynine
 years of the hospitals existence 208,703 patients have
been admitted for treatment.
The nurses were housed in quarters in the power building
and in six private houses in the neighborhood. This was most
unsatisfactory, and the need for a nurses’ dormitory became
more pressing each year. However, it was not until the early
part of 1920 that the hospital felt financially able to undertake
 the project. In March of that year a plot of ground fac-
            
Waiting...

Note to user

Dear user,

In response to current developments in the web technology used by the Goobi viewer, the software no longer supports your browser.

Please use one of the following browsers to display this page correctly.

Thank you.