in founding one general hospital, which shall be worthy of our
city and vicinity and the age in which we live.”
The hospital, one of the three oldest in this city, was incorporated
March 18, 1848, and by 1850 work was started on
the building, the site being a twenty-two acre plot at Twenty
eighth street, which had been donated by Harmer Denny.
Captain and Mrs. Schenley.
In March, 1853, the erecting and furnishing of the building
was completed at a cost of approximately $40,000 and the
hospital was opened for the reception of patients. During its
first year 172 medical and surgical patients and 26 insane patients
were admitted.
Within one year the number of charity patients, particularly
in the insane wards, had increased to the point where it
was necessary to seek aid from the State for maintenance of
these unfortunates. The ever increasing number of these patients
soon overcrowded the hospital, thus making necessary
the erection of a new building. The location that is now Dix.
mont was chosen for this purpose and in 1862 the structure
was sufficiently completed that all the insane patients were
transferred.
About this time, the exigencies of the Civil War became
so real and pressing that the management tendered the Government
the free use of the hospital and its grounds, so that
the sick and wounded of that terrible conflict migat have the
proper care. Immediately after the Civil War the hospital
resumed its former activities, having performed a national
service and receiving the thanks of the nation. From 1862 until
1910, in addition to hospital services, it served the community
by distributing coal to the needy poor under the
Brewer and Crawford funds, for which it was trustee.
The hospital at Twenty-eighth street and that at Dix
mont continued under one general board of managers, with
distinct executive committees, until July 27, 1907, when both
institutions were granted new charters by the Legislature.
The parent hospital retained the name of The Western Pennsylvania
Hospital, while the other became the Dixmont Hospital
for the Insane.
With rapid growth of the city population, the hospital had
to be enlarged from time to time. the cost of these additions