gained by observation of a great number of cases, by study of
the mode of its advent, by the full knowledge of its course,
by the appreciation of all the co-operating agencies which
bring it about and maintain it and eventually lead to the
destruction of the human being who is the host of its parasitical
tendencies. Authorities in public health work state
definitely that no more important field of preventive medicine
and of curative medicine exists, that no better results
can be looked for in any form of medical work.
Officers and directors are as follows: James Hay Reed,
Founder; Arthur E. Braun, Acting President; Roy A.Hunt,
Treasurer; J. G. Hamilton, Assistant Treasurer; Mrs. George
L. Collord, Secretary; Mrs. George B. Berger, Jr., Rt. Rev.
Hugh C. Boyle, Louis Brown, L. H. Burnett, Harmar D.
Denny, Jr., Mrs. John C. Dilworth, J oseph Dilworth, Leon
Falk, Berthold Floersheim, Rev. Dr. A. C. Howell, Mrs.
John W. Lawrence, W. L. Mellon, Miss Helen Blanche
Rauh, David A. Reed, Mrs. J. D. Tilford, Mrs. William P.
Witherow.
PITTSBURGH TUBERCULOSIS HOSPITAL
The City of Pittsburgh maintains the Tuberculosis
Hospital, not as a charitable institution, although patients
are not permitted to pay for care in the hospital or for professional
services rendered. It is operated under the direction
of the Director of the City Department of Public Health,
primarily as a major item of preventive medicine in the
control and prevention of tuberculosis in Pittsburgh.
One of the main objects is the hospitalization of infectious
cases or individuals who are a menace to their families and
others with whom they may come in contact. The hospital
alms not only at the restoration to health of such individuals,
but their isolation until such time as they are no longer capable
of transmitting the disease to others, or until education
in preventive measures has rendered them harmless to
society.
The City of Pittsburgh completed the main buildings of
the Tuberculosis Hospital in the year 1915 with a capacity of
150 patients. During the years 1923 and 1927, additions
were erected, increasing the capacity to 300 patients.